Thursday, July 14, 2016

Crimeline awards three scholarships

  • HAMPTON — Crimeline for the Hamptons, Inc., presented three $1,000 scholarships to two graduating seniors from Winnacunnet High School and one Great Bay Community College student last month.

    The non-profit organization awards annual scholarships to students from Hampton, North Hampton, Hampton Falls or Seabrook who wish to pursue careers in law enforcement or criminal justice and to children of police officers.

    "We're always looking for ways to express support for our local police departments," said Mary Ganz, acting chair of Crimeline for the Hamptons, Inc. "This scholarship helps to encourage those who wish to pursue careers in criminal justice and law enforcement and supports the families of police officers in our area, too."

    In addition to funding the scholarship, Crimeline for the Hamptons, Inc., has provided reward money for tips that lead to arrests and indictments for crimes since 1994. The non-profit also helps local police departments with items they need but are not funded in their budgets.

    Alexis Gidley, recent graduate of Winnacunnet's Class of 2016 and one of this year's Crimeline scholarship recipients, plans to study political science at the University of Alabama on a pre-law track.

    "Studying law and standing up for what I believe is right has always been a huge interest for me," said Gidley.

    Gidley said she is grateful to have been chosen to receive the scholarship and is looking forward to using the scholarship funds to help purchase textbooks as she adjusts to college life.

    "I know going to a college that has a larger population than my hometown will be tough, but I am ready for a change and my new challenge," she said.

    Scholarship recipient Joseph Deshaies said he is looking forward to studying business administration at Bentley University in the fall.

    "I feel I've always had a passion for business my whole life," said Deshaies. "I think when I seriously started thinking about having a career in the business field was in sixth grade when we did a timeline of our life and what we thought what our futures would be like."

    Deshaies said his goals include forming his own company and to be able to donate a portion of his business profits to charitable organizations. "As much as I love business, I love giving back and making a difference in the world at the same time," he said.

    Deshaies said he appreciates the scholarship that will help make expenses less of a burden. "I have seen my parents work hard my whole life and I know they want to retire soon, so not only is this scholarship helping me, but it's also helping my parents and I cannot be more thankful for that," he said.

    North Hampton's Alana Brien, currently studying criminal justice at Great Bay Community College, also received one of this year's Crimeline scholarships.

    For the past five years, Crimeline's board of directors has looked forward to reading essays from scholarship applicants, according to Ganz. The board judges each application and essay and decides the recipient's of the year's scholarship.

    "This year, we had three recipients that we felt strongly about," Ganz said. "We wish them well in their college careers and all the years to come."


  • Source: Crimeline awards three scholarships

    No comments:

    Post a Comment